Photo Cred: Carina Yu
I want to talk about something that I feel pretty passionately about and that I don’t think you get with really big fashion bloggers. Like you, I also follow a lot of style bloggers and look to them for inspiration. But honestly, I can’t think of anything more frustrating than finding a beautiful outfit only to click on links that take me to $400 tops and $800 shoes. Not once or twice, but every single look! I’m not going to be a hypocrite here because I like nice things too (see Chanel purse) and have been known to spend a pretty penny on handbags and shoes. That being said, I choose where I spend and where I save, to create a balanced, affordable look.
Take the above look, for example. This on-trend bell-sleeve off-the-shoulder top is less than $20, but it still looks amazing. My jeans and shoes are super affordable as well. Then I mix in an expensive handbag because that is where you get the most value from your look. You could be sporting a sweat suit, add an expensive bag and you’ve taken your look to the next level. Throw on these amazing earrings from Club Monaco (under $50), and your look is complete.
So, here are my 9 high-level tips for when to save and when to splurge.
- Super trendy items – you can get these for cheap from any of the fast fashion stores. Example, this bell sleeve OTS top 🙂
- T-shirts – you don’t need a $150 t-shirt, no matter what anyone tells you
- Trendy jeans – bell bottoms, super high waisted, embroidered etc. If it’s uber trendy, best to go with a cheaper pair. Topshop has amazing jeans that are affordable.
- Shoes – if it’s trendy or colourful/printed, you need not spend a lot. Or, wait and get the designer version on sale.
- Hats – maybe this is just me, but I see very little value in spending a lot on hats. They are seasonal and styles are very trendy. You can get them cheap and not feel bad when your toddler crushes them!
- Handbags – some brands are more worth it than others, but you can pick out a classic that will last you for years. I have so many recommendations on this one, so if you’re stuck, let me know and believe me, I would like nothing more than to help you pick!
- Classic Jeans – I’m totally okay with spending on a few pairs of expensive denim that I deem classic. Good quality denim will last you for years
- Shoes – I support 1 or 2 pairs of beautiful expensive shoes. Again, go with something classic, like a nude or black that you can wear often and get your money’s worth. Also, boots. You need good boots
- Cashmere – spend on good cashmere, because it will also last you a long time. I still get it on sale, but even then it’s a splurge!
What do you guys save/splurge on? Did I miss any must-haves?
P.S. If you liked this post, go ahead and PIN this to your Pinterest board!