I LOVE the holidays. I especially love holiday food and drinks. The turkey, fresh baked cookies, and of course egg nog. Now I was never a fan of egg nog – I absolutely hate the store bought versions. They just don’t taste right to me. And being a nut for all things homemade, a few years ago I decided to try to make my own. So I did what any smart woman would – I turned to Martha Stewart. I absolutely fell in love with this recipe. It was not only so delicious, it was also fluffy, foamy and creamy as well. It tasted nothing like the store bought egg nog that I despised. And it was a HUGE hit with my family. They are always begging me to make this recipe, and its become my yearly contribution to Christmas dinner. I have slightly adapted Martha’s recipe, but you can find the original here. The only thing I found with her recipe that I changed was the amount of cream. I wanted a slightly lighter version that was a bit easier to stomach. Enjoy!!
Yields: 1 large bowl (about 10-12 servings)
6 large eggs, separated
3/4 cup superfine sugar
2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream, plus more for garnish
1/2 cup spiced rum – or more 😉
Freshly grated nutmeg, for sprinkling
- Using the whisk attachment on your stand mixer, or hand mixer, beat yolks in a very large bowl until thick and pale
- Slowly beat in sugar until well combined — you can combine step 1 and 2 if you like and it will not change the outcome
- Whisk in milk and 1 cup cream.
- Stir in Rum. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold whites into eggnog.
- Whisk remaining 1 cup cream until stiff peaks form, and fold into eggnog. (Alternatively, you can fold half the whipped cream into eggnog, and top with remaining half.)
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.